Friday, July 22, 2011

Day 33

At 91 miles, day 33 was only three miles longer than yesterday, but it was much longer in a lot of other ways.  It started late, as we loaded at 7:00 and then myself and a number of other riders waited to see if a t-storm would blow through.  We left and the t-storm fizzled out.  After about 30 miles we road on the Elroy-Sparta trail which is one of the earliest rails to trails bike trails in the US.  It is very scenic and the first picture is of the beginning of the trail.  The one problem is it is crushed limestone which slows down the average speed pretty significantly. Also there are three tunnels that you have to walk through and carry a flashlight.  The first tunnel is about a mile long and it is completely black inside. Without a flashlight, it would be impossible to see.  The picture is of the entrance -- it looks like something out of Lord of the Rings.  When I entered the tunnel, I immediately remembered I do not like enclosed spaces.  I finally got through and the next two were much shorter. 

When I got to the Wisconsin Dells, I had a great treat.  Some friends from Harbour with whom we have worked for years came up to take me out to supper.  We had a great meal at an outstanding restaurant.  It was a great time and I am most appreciative of them taking the time to do so.  It was very special for me. 

Tomorrow we have chance of t-storms again. 




No comments:

Post a Comment