Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 7

Day 7 was an easier day.  Its hard to believe that 85 miles was easy, but compared to the last two days, it was.  The really good news was I had no knee problems other than mild discomfort.  Icing and tylonol helped.  Hopefully, there will be no more problems. 
It was downhill much of the way and not much wind until the last 10 miles which really helps.  The route was actually 84 miles. However, as no surprise to anyone who knows me, I made three wrong turns. One did not make any difference at all, just turned too quick.  The second I was following other riders who missed the turn and so we had to double back, not my fault.  The third I turned right when I should have turned left.  Could have happened to anyone.  (The map said left; in future I will look at it.)

The first picture is of a small pass looking back towards Baker City.  The second picture is of riders coming up the hill to the pass.  

Most of the next 40+ miles was downhill.  Unfortunately, after riding on very rough road, the screws holding my bottle cage to the bike came loose and fell off.  I picked up and carried to the next rest stop, but had to wait 30-45 minutes before Jim, the mechanic, showed up and was able to fix it with new screws.  Jim is an outstanding bike mechanic. He spends most of the day repairing bikes.  Lots of things can go wrong on a trip like this, and he can fix them  all.  

The last 30+ miles into the Ontario was along a lake with high desert in the background.  The first picture is of me with the lake and desert in the background. The second is of three riders, Sharon on the right who is from New York City and just moved to the Twin Cities and Karina and Jeff who just moved to Maine and are taking a break between jobs and grad school to do the ride.  Karina is one of the most amazing people I have ever met.  She had an aneurism at age 10, almost died and was in a coma for some time.  She recovered, though she lost nerves in one of her legs and cannot run and walks with a limp.  She still has ridden every mile of the tour so far.  

Tomorrow we bike to Boise. 





No comments:

Post a Comment